Horizons ripen to gold and burgundy as summer breathes its last breath. In this regal setting mornings and evenings lengthen. The hottest part of the day is squeezed down to a short hour. The cooling air makes dogs lift their heads higher. New scents drift past and the year turns a page.
I get this revived feeling of adventure in the autumn. It’s a time of preparation, planning for the cold ahead. A reality check after summer’s dreamy heat. It’s easier to work hard when it’s no longer so hot. There’s lots of possibility in the atmosphere. Lots of planning to close the year, and excitement to start a new one.
I’m going to try something new with my butter coffee recipe. It’s fall and there’s a big fat craze over Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte. It’s a tasty treat for sure. I remember cold days in college that were warmed up by this beverage. Full credit to Starbucks for the feels, but not for the nutritional value.
Let me show you how to make it for the autumn morning: a drink that’s fat burning, high focus and high energy, and gives you that cozy feeling of leaves turning red.
I need to give you a disclaimer first: I haven’t tried it yet. The only reason is I need to do a bit of shopping for some ingredients. I know, this is different. I never throw things your way that I haven’t tried and loved first.
However, based on my experience with, and research into, all of these ingredients, I am certain they won’t fudge my morning dietary values – focus and long lasting energy. Here goes.
Pumpkin eggnog butter coffee: the no sugar morning fat burner beverage for fall.
- enough ground single origin coffee beans for two cups coffee
- two or more tbsp Kerrygold (or other grass fed) butter – the more the creamier
- one tsp MCT oil (NOW Foods MCT 100% Oil, 32 fl oz (FFP))
- egg yolk – two for a richer drink (leave out if you want optimal focus and longer lasting energy)
- drop of pumpkin flavor extract (Pumpkin Pie Extract, Natural Flavor Blend – 2 Ounce Bottle)
- pinch of nutmeg (get a fresh nut and grind it per each use to keep it fresh)
- pinch of cinnamon
- two to three tsp xylitol (Xylitol USA – Xyla All Natural Sugar Free Sweetener – 1 Lb.)
- Boil two cups clean water
- While water is boiling, add these to a large blender:
- Kerrygold butter
- MCT oil
- pumpkin flavor extract
- Water should be hot now. Brew coffee into the blender. If using a French press, pour coffee into blender when ready.
- Secure lid on blender, hold down the top with a towel, and blend on highest setting for 20 seconds. Pour out a little at a time between mugs to evenly distribute foam. If you want to share, that is.
The Power of this Beverage
Regular butter coffee, briefly:
- No sugar means no major insulin response in the morning. Leaves your energy and focus high, making you ready to kick the day in the butt (tiny amount of carbs in xylitol shouldn’t cause insulin response).
- Good fats from grass fed cows and coconut derived MCT oil give you healthy building blocks and super clean fuel.
- Clean coffee gives you jitter-free alertness and creativity
- CLA – good fat
- The protein in the yolks will trigger an insulin response, although not nearly as much as sugar or carbs. Test for optimal focus. If you don’t need a killer morning, don’t worry about this.
- manganese – helps blood clotting, Ca absorption, blood sugar regulation, and formation of tissue, bone, sex hormones
- multiple antioxidants and essential oils
- B vitamins
- Vitamin A and C
Butter coffee is no joke. Use it wisely. Don’t eat too much food while drinking it. You’ll get too full and ruin the effect of razor focus. Some of you may want to eat a little bit. Try eggs, bacon, avocado. Adjust to your needs.
You can have it all at once while reading or journaling in the morning. Or you can sip it over a couple of hours at work. Do what suits you best. The brain fuel should hit in the first few minutes.
The Brilliant Beast Blog Daily
Mercola, Joseph 2016. http://foodfacts.mercola.com/nutmeg.html
Amazon Affiliate Links
Note: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
I link to tools that I have used, found meaningful, and that I believe could benefit my brilliant readers.